Monday, March 1, 2010

The Raw Food Diet Saved My Life

If someone would have told me about the raw food diet about a couple of years back, I admit I would have laughed the whole concept away. At that time, life was all about parties and food was all about gourmet, pizza and all kinds of processed foods. I used to love drinking; socializing and eating whatever suited my fancy. My wife and children tried to warn me about my lifestyle but I really was not in a mood to pay attention to any warnings or advice until the day I had a massive heart attack.

It was in the hospital that I started realizing what I was actually doing. The grease, oil and butter from all the processed foods I had eaten had clogged my arteries. I had to undergo angioplasty, and in a few days I was discharged from the hospital with a strict warning about reducing my weight.

I wondered what to do since I was not going to resort to any thing artificial including diet pills. I wanted something that was natural and had no side effects. One day, my best friend called me up and told me about the raw food diet. She had been following the diet and had lost more than 10 kilos in a few months. When I met her later, I was astonished at the change in her. She looked 10 years younger and had a glowing skin! She told me that it was all due to the raw food diet.

It was then I decided that I needed to switch as well. The raw food diet is all about eating fruits and vegetables and other plant based foods in the most natural way possible...raw! That means the food is free from all processing, derivatives and all kinds of chemicals found in the daily food. It meant I could eat all kinds of salads and unprocessed foods like raw fruits and vegetables. Moreover, unlike the other diets, I didn't have to do much to conjure up a meal for myself. For example, my breakfast consists of some green vegetables like lettuce, broccoli and spinach puréed in the blender with a dash of lemon. This smoothie gave me enough energy and vitamins till lunchtime.

Lunch has also become a simple affair these days. Some unsalted nuts with some carrot slices in lettuce wraps along with avocado and banana and some pure uncooked tomato juice. I have never felt so energetic before. All right, initially it takes time to get used to the idea but now I love the raw food diet. I have lost oodles of weight and feel light and happy. Truly, the raw food diet has given me a second lease of life after my heart attack!

No comments:

Post a Comment